permaculture - [permaculture] Changing EU GM labels would undercut GM-free Exports

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathy Carter-White <kathycarterwhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Changing EU GM labels would undercut GM-free Exports
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:13:29 -0600

Thanks, John Schinnerer.  Here's my letter, which tells Zoellick that changing the rules would be anticompetitive.  Where can I email it to?  Kathy, Tahlequah

Honorable Robert Zoellick
United States Trade Representative
600 17 th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20508

Dear Ambassador Zoellick:
On October 18, 2003, the EU Journal set new rules tracing and labelling gene-altered substances. US farmers who distinguish their food and feed as GMO free would lose their competitive advantage in European markets if the US were to lobby for changes in the EU rules, and I urge you to take no action which would undercut the GMO-free standard which Europe freely chose. The EU rule benefits some American farmers,  and it would be onerous to American GMO-free farmers to eliminate this competitive edge.  I'm sure that many American exporters who can meet the EU label will stand prepared with Europe to refute any US efforts which would undermine the competitive success of  GM-free foods and feed.

Sincerely,

Kathy Carter-White