permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda CommunityGarden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda CommunityGarden
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:17:37 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2003 3:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, john@eco-living.net writes:
Horowitz described the use of the land for a permanent garden as a financial
waste.

"You don't take gardeners who may or may not pay any rent and put them on a
piece of land with immense value, which would result in a large taxpayer
subsidy," Horowitz said. "Taxpayers are giving up lots and lots and lots of
money for these 300 farmers. It's fine as an interim use. Everybody knew it
would be temporary."

...so I'm sure we can count on Horowitz to also press the Feds to stop wasting
billions in taxpayer money on subsidies to agribusiness corporations, since
they all knew the subsidies would be temporary...

John--

I suspect if the 300 small urban farmers tipped as well as Dow Chemical and Archer Daniels-Midland, they would get paid handsomely to use this urban space-- they wouldn't have to just garden for free. Good tippers get the best service.

Horowitz, unfortunately, is right. Just about every municipality on the country is broke right now. If they have a chance to make a million or twenty developing some of their in-town holdings, you know they're going to do it. Baskets of veggies make an inadequate bribe when you're at this level of play.

But I'll sign the petition if I can find it-- even though a non-Angeleno's two cents worth is not going to impress these guys very much.

M. Elvin

  • [permaculture] Re: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda CommunityGarden, Marimike6, 11/17/2003