permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda CommunityGarden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Help Save L.A.'s 41st & Alameda CommunityGarden
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:55:31 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> A good synopsis of the situation can be found at this page on their site:
> http://www.saveourgarden.com/savethegardenFrameset.htm
>
> For more information, to sign a petition or to help them in any way, simply
> go to www.saveourgarden.com.

Is there actually a petition that can be signed on the site? I do not find
any such at either of the above URLs or anywhere else on the site.

I do find this:
----------
Horowitz described the use of the land for a permanent garden as a financial
waste.

"You don't take gardeners who may or may not pay any rent and put them on a
piece of land with immense value, which would result in a large taxpayer
subsidy," Horowitz said. "Taxpayers are giving up lots and lots and lots of
money for these 300 farmers. It's fine as an interim use. Everybody knew it
would be temporary."

...so I'm sure we can count on Horowitz to also press the Feds to stop wasting
billions in taxpayer money on subsidies to agribusiness corporations, since
they all knew the subsidies would be temporary...

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net