permaculture - [permaculture] Let me try again: Village design in Haiti

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles Knoles <charles@growfood.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Let me try again: Village design in Haiti
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:38:44 -0600

Dear Permies,

In August, my design partner Liddy Arens and I travelled to Haiti to work on a village design project. Since some of you helped out with ideas for the project I thought I'd give you all an update on how things went down there.

Brief synopsis of the project: La Saline, a small village of approximately 200 people was washed away by floods associated with Hurricane Lili in 2002. The village was located on the Ravine du Sud near Camp Perrin and somewhat near the regional capital Les Cayes. Some of the villagers were members of a remarkable group called AJEC, (an acronym for the "Young entrepreneurs of Camp Perrin" in kreyol) and this group proceeded raise funds and buy land at a higher elevation and rally support from a Local N.G.O and a peace corps volunteer to get a new village designed. Liddy and I were brought in as Permaculture consultants and we worked alongside Eric Davenport, a young eco-architect.

When we began the design we were unsure of how the villagers felt about designing the village to be ecologically sustainable when they had been homeless for over a year and really just needed a place to live. Our concerns were put to rest in our first meeting with the villagers who expressed their desire that the village be "designed around recycling and composting" and for it to have a lot of green space. In addition to this it was quite a relief to be in a culture where the value of planting trees for food and medicine around the home is well understood.

Our design emphasizes rainwater catchment, composting toilets, small scale agricultural processing, capturing cooling breezes, swaling and community building. A PDF file of the latest version of our designs are up on the web at http://www.oreworld.org/laroche.htm, please have a look at it. It would be very nice to hear any suggestions for the project.

I would especially like to hear suggestions regarding how to build rainwater catchment tanks where metal and plastic are scarce, building constructed wetlands for secondary waste treatment for 200 people. In a few months we will be going down there to oversee construction which is something that none of us have any experience in so any suggestions in that area would be very helpful.

There is also enormous potential for bio diesel in Haiti as diesel is the sole automotive fuel used there. If anyone on this list feels like this is their area and wants to get their hands dirty doing on site education they should contact me off-list.

All Love

Charlie Knoles