permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:45:49 -0400

Robert,
After growing and giving them away for 28 years in Mich, New England, Ca, and now NC, I've found that the bulb in the ground can get fairly large, as much as 2 inches across and the bulbils on top as large as 1 inch in diameter. Good organic fertilizer, plenty of minerals and water can make them quite fat and yummy. I like to call them as infinity onions. They're fun and easy to grow and once you have some going, you will never run out. Sometimes the onions make as many as 4 levels of bulbils on one stalk.

Even the small bulbils can be used for eating. If you first give them a quick parboil, their skins slip right off and then you can use them as pearl onions.
Keith

Robert Waldrop wrote:

Others may already know about this, but it's new to me. regarding
walking onions, a/k/a Egyptian onions, generally you grow and eat them
as green onions. but about 6 weeks ago i thinned my bunches by simply
pulling up some of the stalks, including the small bulb in the
ground.. i have let them cure since then, and tonight i chopped a
couple up to make a sauce. they were very tasty, and seem to be
keeping just fine. one of them was a bit of a pain to peel, i don't
know if i would want to use them for a dinner for 100, but for our
household two were fine for the sauce. kind of shallot-like in the
size of the onion bulb.

The stalk itself dried into a fairly firm tube. would probably be good
for autumn decorations.

Now that i know this works, i will probably thin much more extensively
next summer.

Robert Waldrop, okc