permaculture - [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: treaclemine@intranet.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Cooking with Liquorice Root
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:29:42 -0600

Greetings,

As a "thank you" for doing some volunteering at the local
heritage garden, we've been given some liquorice root. Can anyone
advise on how to turn this into e.g. Pontefract cakes? I can't yet
find a method for extracting juice, with the sweet substance
(glycyrhiza), in a domestic kitchen.

I know that you can just chew the root, and I will be trying
that too. Any recipes for liquorice juice also gratefully received!

Thanks,

Amanda in the UK

PS Apologies to those to whom I owe email. My leg got badly wrenched
when the bus I was on yesterday braked sharply, and I have been in a
haze of painkillers all day... but the leg is hurting much less now,
so I should at least be clear-headed tomorrow!