permaculture - Re: [permaculture] RE: energy options & Jean Pain & woodchip composts and woodchip biogas homescale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jerome Osentowski" <jerome@crmpi.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] RE: energy options & Jean Pain & woodchip composts and woodchip biogas homescale
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:48:49 -0600

List, When I build my first free standing greenhouse nearly twenty years
ago, I looked into all the possible greenhouse heating systems that were
being used at the time: Woodchip/poly, compost, hotwater in ground, ect.
I even tryed the woodchip pile but never got it work for me. I did put a 60
foot pile of compost against the north side of the greenhouse to heat and
insulate , and did that for a few years, no water pipes . The heating
system that we found to be the best and cheapest and least work is the one
that is still wroking after twenty years. WE pull the hot air from the
center of the greenhouse thru the soil down to three feet . the air comes
out cool and dry at the ends of the greenhouse, thus heating the soil ect.
This system also has a second thermostat that turns the fan on at night when
the temp drops below
37 or what ever you set it at . We also have a wood burning sauna for a
second back up , and we grow tropical plants here at 7200 feet in colo.This
system sure beats running a chipper ect. jerome

--
Jerome Osentowski, Director
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute

Tel/fax (970) 927-4158 E mail: jerome@crmpi.org

For more information, please visit our web site at <<www.crmpi.org>>