permaculture - [permaculture] NF trees in Sydney community garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Williamson <rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] NF trees in Sydney community garden
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:09:38 +1000

Hi Andrew
Would you like to try some wattles in your clay loam? I would have to check out quarantine requirements first, but we are about to collect seed for the first time of Acacia baileyana which has done really well for us in a heavy clay loam, has reached a dense 10ft or more in 2 years, we put it in for chop & drop type mulch. These wattles have a use-by-date of about 8 years, this is not the one that became a "weed" in South Africa but I would keep a close eye on it nonetheless as it is very vigorous around Sydney. I don't think you could ever overdo the nitrogen thing adding N in this natural way and allowing it to break down by itself.

A. baileyana aka Cootamundra Wattle has a beautiful silvery blue bipinnate leaf and clusters of yellow, staminate, sweet-smelling fls in winter. We have never watered it and our rainfall is about 1000 mm per annum (don't know what that is in inches).

For anyone in Sydney on Sunday 31 August 2003 our one-acre demonstration permaculture garden will be open from 10:30 am to 3:30 pm with seed collecting, worm farming and other eco activities for kids and a graphic display of our progress to date. We are situated in the grounds of Fagan Park, Arcadia Road, Galston behind historic Netherby Cottage and the agricultural museum, enabling you to walk from the past into the future.

Sorry to have missed you all at the Gardening Australia expo but we were confident that the cause was well represented there and we are very busy covering this area of Sydney. For anyone in the area we have another expo coming up on Sunday 14 September in the grounds of Collingwood House, Hume Highway at Liverpool City Council's Bloomin 2003 Garden & Environment Expo. Free entry, all welcome.

Robyn Williamson
PDC, Urban Horticulturist
Hon Sec, Fagan Park Community Eco Garden Committee
Local Seed Network Coordinator, North Western Sydney Community Seed Savers
ph/fx: (612) 9629 3560
www.seedsavers.net/lsn/32.html
rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au

  • [permaculture] NF trees in Sydney community garden, Robyn Williamson, 08/29/2003