permaculture - [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sam bucus <samm_bucus@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:35:57 -0700 (PDT)

hello,
i have been reading this server for while, lurking and preparing questions.

i am in the planning and saving money stages of creating a farm in northern wisconsin, , city of port wing, in bayfield county, zone 4 very close to lake superior.  i recently graduated college after studying ecological agriculture and plan to develop a small, diversified ten acre farm geared towards direct maketing in duluth, minnesota through a farmer stand, and hopefully, eventually catch some tourists on their way to bayfield and market straight from the farm.

currently i am teaching english in south korea saving money.

my first questions to this list are concerning nitrogen fixing trees/plants in relation to fruit and nut orchards.  i hope to intercrop plums, apples and pears for the main producers. i want to stagger in some nft's or have a row of nft's and mulch plants for every row of fruit or nut trees.  but my research has shown that too much nitrogen is very bad for fruit and nut production, lowering fruiting, increeasing vegtative growth, nitrogen type things, etc.  also i have read a few reports of people who feel they have experienced a decline in pests and consequent increase in fruiting after reducing regular nitrogen applications.

as a student of permaculture/ecology, etc.  i am drawn to the idea of using nitrogen fixing trees and plants to provide nitrogen instead of applying it some other way.  does anyone have any experience with nft's or other plants in association with apples, plums, pears, hazels and chestnuts, the main species i will eb planting in my orchard?  what species of nitrogen fixers?  i was considering Eleagnus sp. in between rows of fruit trees with a bunch of comfrey or other suitable mulch plant nearby to pick up excessive nitrogen while still being able to supply some to the fruit adn nut trees.  I also considered planting lupines under teh trees and, of course, clover and grass pathways.

any info, advice or leads would be very much appreciated.  I have enjoyed these lists and the useful information that people put out there.
thanks,

andrew felger

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees, sam bucus, 08/28/2003