permaculture - [permaculture] Wisdom of our ancestors

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Wisdom of our ancestors
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:01:14 -0500

This was on NPR yesterday. 1500 online books on home economics,
published 1850 to 1950! Probably should be read with discernment --
the
on air story said one book from the turn of the century condemned
the
practice of mixing meat, vegetables, sauce, and pasta in one dish,
which of course is a casserolle, but still, folks can find a lot of
valuable information here. robert waldrop, okc

http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/index.html

July 31, 2003 -- The concept of "home economics" covers a lot of
territory: It encompasses how we cook, eat, clean, make clothing and
furniture, raise children, grow vegetables or pretty much everything
else involved with maintaining a home. It is a primary school
subject -- overwhelmingly directed at girls -- but it is also a
scholarly subject, with its own body of literature.

More than 1,500 books covering various facets of home economics are
now accessible online, thanks to a Cornell University Library effort
dubbed the HEARTH project. The books were published between 1850 and
1950 and selected by teams of scholars for their historical importance

Joan Jacobs Brumberg, a professor at Cornell's College of Human
Ecology and a leader of the HEARTH effort, says this is the first time
a collection of this scale and scope has been made available online.
She spoke with NPR's Robert Siegel about the definition of home
economics and the impact of feminism on the field.