permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re de-hybridizing for fun and profit & romanian jam recipe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re de-hybridizing for fun and profit & romanian jam recipe
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:51:20 -0500

toby -- thanks for this update on Alan's work...

one of the things that I find most interesting about natural selection is that for some folks, there is still an ethical issue involved, that somehow one is "fucking" with nature in the same way as the biotech behemoth does. but I bet if those who had ethical problems with it lived for a few months on the original genetics which eventually evolved into food, their arguments might not be so impassioned.

did you happen to mention to alan the discussion we had a few months ago about getting a comprehensive website online about kinship gardening, use of the bubble map, peace seed journals etc?

mIEKAL

we just picked a kilo of red lake currants & now we are making jam in a most interesting way. my new partner, who is from Romania, insisted on making jam their way. layers of berries (which she calls "strugurei " ...meaning little grapes...) covered with layers of sugar & juice of lemon. this is left out overnight for the sugars to extract the juice. the following day it is baked for 20 minutes in the oven, then left out for a day, put in the oven the following day & left out. then on the 3rd day it is canned. the berries stay whole & the juice is extracted & made into a syrup. No gelatine is used. the jam is called "gem" or "dulceatza" (when it has more syrup).