permaculture - [permaculture] Hierarchies exist

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hierarchies exist
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:48:13 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Kirby Fry's - "Folks in progressive movements are shy of (also read as,
"loathe") hierarchies because they have been so abused by leaders and
beauracracy, but no matter how we squirm or shy away hierarchies exist and
are a part of the natural order, so just like in the ecological landscape
where we pride ourselves on mirroring
natural systems so too in our social dealings do we need to mirror natural
arrangements."

Crikeys Kirby. Can you really read all that without taking a breath?!? Your
grammar checker must love you. (Mine keeps abusing me because I use too much
'passive voice'. Never taken the time to figure out what the hell it's
talkin' about. Bossy bloody computers :-)

Interesting that you say this. On John Shinnerer's recommendation, I'm half
way through reading Ursula K. Le Guin's book, The Dispossessed. It features
two different communities (planets) which are struggling with exactly this
issue of hierarchies, society with or without them. Not sure how it turns
out, but so far it's raised some interesting ideas.

"To create crime, create laws. You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You
can only crush them by ignoring them. By refusing to think, refusing to
change. In other words, he has power over you. Where does he get it from? Not
from vested authority, there isn't any. He gets it from the innate cowardice
of the average human mind. Public opinion! That's the power structure he's
part of."

Apropos of nothing, it's just where I'm up to in the book. :-)

Gaiden

  • [permaculture] Hierarchies exist, Gaden@ziplip.com, 07/08/2003