permaculture - Re: [permaculture] De-evolution for fun and profit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] De-evolution for fun and profit
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 10:43:18 -0400

The Seeds of Change True Platinum sweet corn, which Alan Kapuler bred from a hybrid white sweet corn, is a prime example of this de-hybridizing strategy. (And a great OP corn.)

Having watched his breeding projects over the years, it seems like it can take 4-8 generations of rigorous selection to get a stable OP variety, depending on what species you're dealing with. It's sort of like doing mass-crosses and selection, but someone else is doing the crossing for you.

Deppe also notes that some "hybrids" may not be hybrids at all, as they seem to reproduce just as an OP. She suggests that labeling something a hybrid, in some cases, might just be to discourage potential seed savers.

If I've learned one thing from Alan, it's just to plant the seeds and see what happens. The more good germ plasm that we can get into the public domain, the better.

Scott