permaculture - Re: [permaculture] De-evolution for fun and profit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] De-evolution for fun and profit
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:54:54 -0700

Loren Davidson wrote:

Is anybody working to "de-evolve" hybrid species back into their ancestors, or "forward-evolve" them into new, stable cultivars?

Alan Kapuler has de-hybridized a number of hybrids (I sure wish his stuff was on line); seems to me Carol Deppe (author of "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties") has either done it or has referred to people who have. It's a great idea, and results in some wonderful varieties. I'm afraid I don't know more about it, but I'll be seeing Alan next weekend and will ask him (and will be ready for the tsunami of information that follows!).

Toby
For a look at my book on ecological gardening,
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm