permaculture - [permaculture] Re de-hybridizing...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re de-hybridizing...
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 03:27:48 -0700 (PDT)

An ag researcher who did our course two years ago explained how they created new varieties from hybrid corn:
They plant a field with as many types of hybrids as they can.
From those they select plants with desirable qualities ( early, late, tall , short, etc..)

They plant those separately.
They then select for those same traits.
She said the establishment of a new variety is surpiringly rapid- if I am not mistaken, already by the third generation...But then this is corn, which mixes so readily..

I also heard of a case where a new bean was introduced to the Philippines and then forgotten about, and some years later (20?) a curious researcher looked and found 60 new varieties that thie farmers had selected from this bean...

Marsha Hanzi
Isntituto de Permacultura da Bahia
Brazil
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [permaculture] Re de-hybridizing..., Marsha Hanzi, 07/07/2003