permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rich Forests and New Primitives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rich Forests and New Primitives
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 08:48:30 -0700

Title: Re: [permaculture] Rich Forests and  New Primitives

From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>

Our "forest guru", Ernst Gotsch, has been living this lifestyle for about 15 years now, and I have seen many lives changed just from visiting him...So   such examples can have a social impact,  in many different degrees... It seems to me that this was what Bill Mollison was originally aiming at when he created Permaculture...

I remember Bill Mollison telling us that if we go anywhere to teach we'd see an example somewhere we could point to. And I think you are very definitely spot on as far as what Bill was aiming at.

I would LOVE to live in a forest and wander, near a river, foraging-- these spaces are not so  available any more.  So we are trying to create the next best solution... And it  is fun!

Between 3 and 12 yrs. of age the environs of the housing development I lived in were abandoned orchard, vinyard and truck farms, with a few bits of remnant forest, and many of the surrounding homes had gardens in back. So that was my lifestyle, at least when I wasn't in prison being tortured (school, I mean) It has always been difficult to explain this to those who never had the experience.

Right before my family moved away, the builders started again. My friends and I started attacking equipment, breaking windows and building fires, but two years after I moved, there were no trees, no terraced south slopes, and the streams were in pipes.

-Rick