permaculture - [permaculture] Kim Stanley Robinson - Mars Trilogy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Kim Stanley Robinson - Mars Trilogy
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:05:00 -0400

I'd like to add my recommendation of this excellent trilogy. Thought-provoking, stimulating, educational, and HIGHLY entertaining.
Keith

Kim Stanley Robinson - Mars Trilogy

Re: Russ Grayson's - "A contemporary SF writer, Kim Stanley Robinson, has produced
a compilation of ecotopian writing that is currently in the bookshops - sorry, don't
recall the title. He wrote the Mars trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) which,
while in the SF genre, explore the terraformation of the planet to make it habitable
for humankind."

I heartily endorse Robinson's Mars series. Though within a SF framework, these books introduce many concepts of alternative economic systems, alternative community structures,and decision making processes. Alternative monetary/currency/barter systems. Extensively examines the many different forms of ecopolitics.
Though these works are obviously fictional, they have been exhaustively
researched and based on actual systems/idealogies. These books gave me many
weeks of internet research as I followed up on various, sometimes obscure
idealogies mentioned within the story. And if all that wasn't enough, they
are a damn good read for the story alone. Good long-distance travel reading
material.

Gaiden