permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Hydrogen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Hydrogen
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:50:58 -0700

Hi folks,

It's been an interesting thread, with lots of interesting comments. Thanks
folks.

We can judge how well these things work if we can live with the solar income
we get everyday.
Hydrogen as a heat source is really absurd, electric heating is already
hugely expensive and inefficient, to try and use electricity to make
hydrogen at a 30% energy efficiency to make heat with is really bad. As
mentioned though, hydrogen can potentially store more energy per weight then
lead acid batteries can, so in transportion/transportable situations, there
can be benifits. Also, I know there is mention of methane digestors in the
PDM. Methane (that's what natural gas is) can be reformed into H2 + C02,
which you could run though a fuel cell to run appliances with. If methane
can be reformed with little or no energy input, and the methane could be
made of clippings, manure, crop wastes, etc with the sludge going back to
the fields, you might have a means to produce some more friendly energy.

In terms of consumption, we need to do everything: build longer lasting
things which we don't throw away every few years, create housing layouts
that are transportation efficient, create housing designs that are solar
passive/active & energy efficient, increase the efficiency of appliances,
vehicles, and industry, and live with less. All those things will help, and
many would be compounding.

Cheers,
BK