permaculture - [permaculture] Overdoing Purity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Overdoing Purity
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:13:10 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Mike Elvin's - "It's possible we can go too far with the concept of
purity."

Agreed. I think we sometimes underestimate the resilience of natural systems.
There was a similar reference recently posted regarding natural petrochemical
spills occuring deep underwater. (But as was pointed out then, that natural
resilience mustn't be used to justify a careless attitude towards
environmental issues.)

Perhaps we should also acknowledge that much of environmental concern isn't
so much based upon Giai's preservation but that of humankind. The two are by
no means mutually exclusive, but not necessarily mutually inclusive.

Giai may survive quite well without that irritating young upstart species,
'homo sapien'. Processes like thinning of the ozone layer may simply be her
way of ridding herself of that 'nasty little virus', mankind. A fever before
restoring the homeostatic balances.

Perhaps we need to think more about reducing the antigenic properties of our
kind and learn to get along better with our host?

Slightly different but related tack. I recall reading a while ago of a new
scientific childhood therapy that had been developed to improve the immune
and alleopathic responses of children. Young children were given several
therapy sessions per week under strictly controlled conditions. Specially
trained (and expensive) therapists carefully supervised these sessions where
the children came in contact with and played with......dirt.

Kids raised in obsessively sterile antiseptic environments had had no chance
to develop a range of natural immunities found in their poor 'country
cousins'.

(This wasn't the link I read but it is related:
http://www.todayschiropractic.com/archives/mar_apr_03/ma2003_nutrition.html )

Gawd sakes, this world is so stupidly funny sometimes!!!

Gaiden