permaculture - [permaculture] Re:Bioregional Diet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re:Bioregional Diet
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:01:30 -0600

I can't praise Gary Nabhan's book "Coming Home to Eat" enough. He spent one year eating only food grown within a fifty mile radius of his home and kept a journal of this experience. It is a very thoughtful and enlightening book on food gathering in the Sonoran Desert.

Scott Pittman

At 03:29 PM 6/10/03 -0400, you wrote:
> From: treaclemine@intranet.org

> It might then have to be a personal decision as to whether
> the relative harm (to the environment) of transporting staple vegan
> foods to a population is outweighted by the relative harm (to people,
> animals and the environment) of using animal foods.

It might be possible to get some idea of how ugly this cwould look like by
examining the situation today among peoples in the Sonoran desert or
Australian outback, or in the high Arctic.

I think there is a vast under-representation of "environmental" (which word
has always bugged me) benefits to using animal foods (and I use "animal" in
the broadest sense)

Certainly ANY distance transport of staples harms all; "environment", (as in
deforestation to build sailing ships, even!) the nutrition of the crown of
creation (ME!) and all the (charismatic 4 legged megafauna) animals that get
in the way of the roads.

Y'all excuse me, I gotta drive to the store and get some bananas, avocados
and peanut butter.

-Rick

  • [permaculture] Re:Bioregional Diet, Scott Pittman, 06/11/2003