permaculture - [permaculture] kiddie pool leachate

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "elijah smith" <elijahs@earthlink.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] kiddie pool leachate
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:42:08 -1000

I got a load of kiddie pools - the premolded plastic type - at an auction.  I've been using them for little ponds - azolla, hyacinth, fish from the local ponds.  The water plants are to be used as mulch around the garden & orchard.

However -

We were talking about growing edible plants in these pools (wet taro) and someone said that this type of plastic will leach nasty stuff into the plants grown in it.  This brought up the question - are there any health hazards with using the water plants from the pond as mulch for other plants?   Should it be used for non-food crops only or something?

Thanks!
   Elijah