permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: farmwork this summer?]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jess_mund@riseup.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: farmwork this summer?]
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 17:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

>Does anyone know of any permaculture/organic farms that a college
>student could work at in June and July this summer? One that doesn't
>cost a lot to live there?

The following is about internships in organic gardening/farming at our
intentional community in northeast Missouri...or see www.sandhillfarm.org
for more details and an application.

SANDHILL FARM
INTERNSHIP POSITIONS AVAILABLE
APRIL 15 – NOVEMBER 1, 2003

Sandhill Farm is a supportive family of friends (12 adults, a 7 y.o.
child, and 2 children under 2 y.o.) farming communally since 1974 on 135
acres in rural NE Missouri.

An Internship at Sandhill is an opportunity to gain experience in a
variety of areas on an organic farm, and to live, work, and play with
folks who have chosen to live in a rural intentional community. We like
having interns because of the new energy they bring into our community,
because we deeply appreciate the help they offer, and because we enjoy
sharing our lifestyle.

This year (2003) we are primarily looking for interns with a strong
interest in organic gardening and/or food preservation. This internship
does not offer classes; learning is informal and hands-on. Interns should
be ready to initiate contact with members when instruction or direction is
needed. Self motivation and the ability to take initiative is essential,
and interns should be prepared to work independently some of the time.

Organic gardening includes: care of three large organic gardens and an
herb garden, planting, mulching, weeding, watering, compost maintenance,
harvesting for meals, food preservation (canning, freezing, drying),
processing herbs for medicinals and tinctures, some wildcrafting and
orchard harvesting.

Other areas of farm life that interns will have an opportunity to
participate in include: animal care (chicken coop and barn maintenance,
milking, care of cows, chickens), childcare, food products
(sorghum/tempeh/mustard/horseradish production), bee-keeping/honey
harvesting, staffing product table at fairs, outreach work in the
Fellowship for Intentional Community office, farm product marketing trips.

Interns are expected to participate in all aspects of community life
including cooking, housekeeping, and attending community meetings. We
encourage interns to participate in the childcare rotation.

Sandhill provides all on-farm meals. While meat is served occasionally,
interns must be comfortable with a primarily vegetarian diet. A vegan
option may be offered at every meal. Interns should expect to bring their
own tent to sleep in. Community common spaces are available for writing,
reading, and hanging out. A $50.00 per month stipend is provided to each
intern who stays at least 6 weeks.

We accept applications throughout the growing season/internship months,
but act soon, as we anticipate receiving many requests for internships and
we wish to fill positions as soon as possible. After we receive your
completed application, we will contact you regarding a telephone
interview. Internship periods are for a minimum of 6 weeks in length or
longer, April 15 – November 1, 2003. Priority will be given to applicants
who request a longer-than-6-week stay.

Applications are available on our website, by email, or postal mail.

Please contact us at: Sandhill Farm Interns, RR 1 Box 155, Rutledge, MO
63563
660-883-5543 (Ask for angelina or Sol)
interns@sandhillfarm.org, www.sandhillfarm.org