permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Plants Database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncat.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Plants Database
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:33:24 -0500

PFAF is a big deal, it is totally awesome.

Yet, the PCPDB was a pretty cool adaptation
and database application by Chad Knepp sitting
at his computer.

People can choose which technology they want to
use. Sometimes it is the organization and presentation
of material that makes a difference to users.

The Plants Database is cool because 10,000's of
thousands of gardeners contributed photos of their
favorite plants, a decentralized and open source effort.
For example, it was Purple Bell Vine (Rhodochiton
atrosanguineum) that took me there, to gain a view of
the plant and learn what it does.

I see all these as tools to share. Scif's and Wikis and DB's.

Admittedly, I have yet to organize a database and make
it available online, but I see that it as a necessary learning
curve to add to my information technolgy toolkit, to organize
information and make it searchable and quickly available.

Anyways, Richard, the work you've done with PFAF is
a huge contribution to permaculture. It is one of the top
useful sites.

Best regards,
Steve Diver