permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco sources

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: gdeetz@yahoo.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco sources
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:30:10 -0700

Just to be clear. Seeds of Change sells a crown division. (Yacon has both edible tubers and a central crown which can be divided to create a half dozen or so plants the following year depending on how developed it gets) They ship them sprouted in a 4 inch pot. You cannot propagate from the tubers, only the crown as far as I know. I had 4-5 foot plants last year in Maine that had close to 15 lbs of tubers each and crowns with 4-8 eyes. (See photo in SoC catalog) I started them inside in early April. The first frost wiped them out in late September but the Tubers stored nicely in the ground for 4-8 weeks under heavy mulch. They're one of our favorite fall foods and store well into winter, growing slightly wrinkled but decidedly sweeter.

Happy Spring to all,

Scott Vlaun
editor@seedsofchange.com