permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:26:02 -0500

I can confirm the excellence of Penny's use of brush piles having rooted through them myself. Yum.

Good King Henry is a perennial version of lamb's quarters, and a cousin of the many chenopodiums (goose foot) like spinach, chard, beets, orach, quinoa, saltbush, epazote, huazontle, etc. Its thriving here in my North Carolina garden for the last 3 years.
Keith

BK wrote:
Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 36 Heya folks,
Penny Livingston (www.permacultureinstitute.com) has essentialy made large brush piles and then planted tubers in there such as potatoes and mashua. I was helping harvest the mashua that had grown in a few year old pile, and god, that soil was wonderful. Rich, black, easy to work, slow high carbon compost. This was in coastal California, so it wouldn't work in the dry regions.

And lastly a little question, I saw a company selling "Good King Henry" with a minimal description, is that the edible relative of plantain/White Man's Footsteps/snakeweed?

Cheers,
Bear K