permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 35

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 2, Issue 35
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:34:51 -0700

I don't have pits but I make my compost in two bale high strawbale enclosures lined with plastic. I use the straw and manure from my chicken house to fire things off and add kitchen scraps, and weeds from time to time. I still have to water my compost regularly, and use lots of worms.

I did see the "moldering" system of composting in Siberia. They would dig a three foot hole a couple of feet wide and as long as practical and fill it all summer with weeds, garden trimmings, animal manure, kitchen scraps, and anything else that was organic. In the fall after harvested plants were put in the pit it was covered with two feet of soil and left for the winter. Two years later this was used to fertilize the spring beds.

Scott