permaculture - Re: Fwd: [permaculture] Are we a weed?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [permaculture] Are we a weed?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:51:24 -0800

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:
Georg--

Here's one (a wrong-way invader) that just popped up today-- Mnemiopsis leidyi. It's a comb jelly that hitchhiked in some bilge water from America to the Black Sea, where it collapsed a $250 million anchovy industry and now comprises up to 95% of the biomass of the entire Black Sea. These are some invasives from hell! At least the Asian snakeheads that are taking over freshwater streams on the Eastern seaboard are said to be good eating.

Fertilizer too.

Who wants jellyfish?

Farmers?

So maybe examples are all over the place if you just look for them. I don't know who first came up with that observation about invasives generally only going one way-- I must have taken it on Learned Authority from some book.

Mike Elvin

A Google search on Mnemiopsis Leidyi produced these working links:

http://www.caspianenvironment.org/mnemiopsis/
http://www.ibss.iuf.net/blacksea/species/freelife/ctenophora/mnemleid.html
http://www.math.rsu.ru/niimpm/ommee/selut/IntasHtml/IntRepPart5Sect3.html
http://gesamp.imo.org/no58/cont.htm

Maybe they could be seined into roach motels within coastal lagoons to
overpopulate
and be recycled as food for transplanted seaweeds of various types (a
nutrient scavenger
and water purifier like water hyacinth).

Can they be harvested and use as agricultural fertilizer?

LL

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net