permaculture - [permaculture] Major historical incompatibility complex

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Major historical incompatibility complex
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:18:52 -0700

Title: Major historical incompatibility complex

From: Marimike6@cs.com

So my feeling is that we try to ignore them at our risk-- one day they will be driving stakes at the edge of our property and putting up signs about the proposed rezoning. We really do need to stay involved, even if our preference is to avoid politics. Otherwise we'll wake up one morning wondering what that sound is, and it'll be a bulldozer.

OK- here's an idea I ponder from time to time. I look at successful  human "old-growth" groups- por ejemplo, the Amish in the US- and wonder how best we can incorporate that lasting success in our social permaculture designs without sacrificing the anarchic spirit that has allowed us to develop our interest in permaculture to begin with.
How best to build a flexible, tolerant, tough, inclusive community to deal with the invasive future-eater's culture that will show up with the bulldozers?

-Rick