permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Coir as an alternative to peat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Coir as an alternative to peat
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:16:07 -0000

Hi Cindra...

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 09:08 AM, CindraZone@aol.com wrote:

Does anyone have experience using coir as an alternative to peat for propagation?  If so how did you like it?

I take it that you refer to coconut fibre as sold in compressed bricks.

Mixed with compost, this makes a fine propagating mix as the fibre retains moisture. Performaance is similar to peat.

Also, I'm teaching a class on propagating with seeds this weekend and want to have my facts right.  Is peat moss nonrenewable or just slow to regenerate.

Peat moss is renewable but slow to regenerate. The rate of extraction is now exceeding the rate of renewal and some conservationists in the UK are buying peat bogs to protect them from gardeners.

...Russ Grayson