permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Termites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Termites
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:37:06 -0500

I'm luckily spared the problem up here in the Northern part of the country,
however, I understand from Dan Hemenway down in Fla. that termites commute
to work - i.e. they live outdoors and come in and out of the house.....

Also, chickens love them ( to death) - So, the idea would be to put
chickens in their way - Dan suggests a caged chicken run all around the
house would eliminate all manner of bug problem, feed the chickens
hi-protein bugs, ( even as they graze the growth along the house) and return
a yield of eggs while keeping the chickens safe ( literally close to home).
I think it's a great design idea and am amazed more people aren't trying it

I also understand that termites can't burrow through sand because the
tunnels they form keep collapsing in on them, so a sand "moat" around the
house could also work, but chickens will do a terrific job of things, I'm
quite certain....