permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #442 - 1 msg

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #442 - 1 msg
  • Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:06:43 -0700

At 12:00 PM 12/7/02 -0500, you wrote:
There are no technical solutions only ethical ones.

Bob Howard
Thanks Bob for bringing a little reality to the table. The problem is that even the best informed in this country get their information and world view from a media that is at best dependent on corporate sponsorship, even PBS, which is our version of the BBC, is beholden to the corporate world for its existence. So while I agree with your points for the most part and think that it is good for us to hear a view from outside our culture, I find that most of the people I talk to, day to day, are plain ignorant with no place to go to cure that ignorance. We are living in a fascist state if the definition "Any program for setting up a centralized autocratic national regime with severely nationalistic policies, exercising regimentation of industry, commerce, and finance, rigid censorship, and forcible suppression of opposition" is a correct definition.

I was recently in Guatamala, speak of feeling it in your bones, and was shamed by my own ignorance of the terror that we, the United States, supported and then looked the other way while tens of thousands of Mayans were brutally slaughtered. The reality of our malfeasance worldwide is almost too shocking to face head on, once must take it in small glimpses or be frozen in total despair. It is one thing to have a vague notion that we aren't getting the whole story, and quite another to have someone from a culture that has experienced our arrogance and imperial nature tell it to your face.

Once one is aware of what is being done in our name, then what? I have often wondered if I should find another homeland, but then it seems like the ultimate cop out, leaving the mess for others to clean up. Or perhaps just repairing the earth one back yard at a time is the most we can hope for until this juggernaut collapses under the weight of its own misdeeds and corruption. The good thing about about the present regime in this country is that it is all so obvious that even the most delusional has to come to the conclusion that its all about greed and power. Even the powers of the boob tube can't put enough makeup on this gang of criminals.

I am trying to reach that point where I can see the solution in the problem, and it may well be that nothing short of collapse is the solution we are all waiting for.

Scott

  • [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #442 - 1 msg, Scott Pittman, 12/07/2002