permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 07:24:05 EST

Good day,

In a message dated 11/14/02 11:35:22 AM, keithdj@mindspring.com writes:

<< We have found, here at Earthaven in NC, that our "poplar"
(Liriodendron, actually a cousin to magnolia) rots in about a year on
the ground (even the big logs turn to mush) while, usually without
inoculation, volunteering a fair amount of oyster species. >>

Down here in KY too. After a year or so they are so soft, you can hardly pick
them up:)

I've noticed numerous volunteer mushrooms on my various downed logs, but I'm
not sure what kind they are. We love mushrooms too, but am reluctant to try
any that I can't positively ID.

Sure wish I could find a local expert to walk the forest with me...but they
seem to be rare down here.

Bye for now. Frank

  • Re: [permaculture] Re: Poplars ||| Save The Trees, FranksFarm, 11/17/2002