permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests (Rick)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Carbon Sinks / Fire Proof Forests (Rick)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:47:38 -0700

Marcus; You might try Juniperus procera; they've cut most of it down in
Kenya due to its bug resistant properties. And it's a fine tree, biggest
Juniper in the world... As far as I can tell, if the wood is reddish and bug
resistant, it's cedar. But, yeah, no doubt there's more species you can grow
there where you are than you have land or time to.
> Unfortunately
> (for me) it is too humid in the subtropics to grow red cedar here.

Funny you can't get Thuja logs anymore. But you're probably getting the
lumber from Canada, eh? All we've got down here anymore is knotty little
logs. All the nice stuff is trucked down here from BC now.
And it's interesting how everywhere else around the world Eucalyptus is
favored cause the bugs don't like it. Must be that the bugs get accustomed
to the local woods, eh?
-Rick