permaculture - Re: [permaculture] poplars and patterns & swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] poplars and patterns & swales
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:46:51 EST

Good day,

In a message dated 11/12/02 6:01:19 PM, kfinigan@telus.net writes:

<< year 2001: planted 35 hardy and apple cherry trees in a field that had
been

neglected (old garden returned to weeds) for about 8 years. Land has a slight

slope. Dug three swales (contour ditches) going down the slope, each about 10

to 12 inches deep (one shovel) and 12 to 18 inches wide (one shovel plus some

edge-shaping). Planted trees on the downslope side of the swales. >>

My land too has a slight slope, and is subject to heavy rains at times. We
normally get 40+ inches, but rainfall is hardly evenly dispersed. Often far
too much, followed by drought like conditions. Makes it far more difficult to
come up with clear cut solutions.

Anyway like Kelly has done I'm thinking of running a few such contour ditches
ACROSS the slope, and perpendicular to the run off to slow it's momentum, and
also hold moisture for increased grass growth, or tree growth. I'm thinking
of planting fruit trees in this area from base of hill to midway
upslope,which is already tree covered former pasture land.

But I sure liked the idea of that 1/2 V trencher:)

All the best. Frank