permaculture - [permaculture] HDRA 'Weed Management' research

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: amanda@treaclemine.cix.co.uk (A C Baker)
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: amanda@treaclemine.cix.co.uk
  • Subject: [permaculture] HDRA 'Weed Management' research
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:42:57 GMT

Greetings,

I have just re-subscribed to this list, having had
to take a break due to peregrinations. I currently live in
Wales, but am in the process of moving to the West Midlands
of England. With a friend, I am establishing a new organic
allotment garden - we are aiming for a permaculture allotment,
but we're still learning! Our medium term aim is self-build
ecohouse and permaculture small-holding somewhere in England.

Those on this list who are based in the UK may already
be aware that the Henry Doubleday Research Association (HDRA)
organic growing institute has funding from the UK Dept. of Food,
Agriculture and Rural (DEFRA) to conduct research into weed
management for organic farmers and growers (see their web site:
http://www.hdra.org.uk/research/ir_weed_management.htm) for
some more information. I have been lucky enough to squeeze a
place at the first meeting, on Tue 3 Dec, partly on the basis
that I know a little about permaculture. I don't know how many
other 'permies' might be registered for the event, but I am
hoping to get as much advice as possible from 'old hands' to
take along to the HDRA next month.

First of all, any advice at all about discussing
permaculture with 'industrial horticulturists' would be useful,
as I fear that Government representatives at the meeting will
be coming from _that_ mindset. Obviously more pertinant to
the actual subject of the workshop. would be advice on practical
permacultural growing and harvesting of crop plants.

Please circulate this request for advice to any relevant
groups and mailing lists, and ask people to copy any responses
direct to me:

amanda@treaclemine.cix.co.uk

I will try to subscribe to any useful new mailing lists
that I discover in the process.

Many thanks for you help!

Regards,

Amanda in Wales

  • [permaculture] HDRA 'Weed Management' research, A C Baker, 11/09/2002