permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Benefits of grazing animals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Benefits of grazing animals
  • Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:06:23 -0600

Bit from a thread on an ill advised campaign of lawsuits out west to halt grazing on public lands.

David is right, there's been quite a lot of new research that shows that
grazing provides wildlife habitat and improves species diversity. The UN
Food and Ag Org report mentions some of this.
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5303e/x5303e05.htm#grazing%20systems%20of%20the%2
0arid%20areas

Pull quote:

"livestock can improve soil and vegetation cover and plant and animal
biodiversity, as described in this chapter's case studies of widely
different conditions in Kenya, the western United States and Guinea. By
removing biomass, which otherwise might provide the fuel for bush fires, by
controlling shrub growth and by dispersing seeds through their hoofs and
manure, grazing animals can improve plant species composition. In addition,
trampling can stimulate grass tillering, improve seed germination and
break-up hard soil crusts."

There are still paleo-environmentalists that lack ecological knowledge that
are still bashing cows and graziers, but there are a growing number of
environmentalists partnering with ranchers to further improve an already
sound system of range management. In the end good ranchers have the same
goals as educated environmentalists, they just had a different twang in
their speech and didn't recognize one another right away. I often chuckle a
bit when urban enviros finally get it that ranchers have been doing what
enviros have been talking, but that the ranchers actually understand how
it's done. There are some researchers making a living off just listening to
ranchers and turning that wisdom into formal papers so that the knowledge is
available in a form acceptable to the sometimes bigoted academics and
journalists.

Regards,
Gary Jones