permaculture - [permaculture] Non-res courses, group dynamics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Non-res courses, group dynamics
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:42:36 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> I agree wholeheartedly. I did one weekend course once; to save $ and
> hassle, we didn't include meals. No one put that together, and so we
> never ate together. The group never did gel.

OTOH, I've seen some multi-weekend non-res courses where groups have
gotten pretty tight. Twice I've done my end-of-course 'reflective
designing' guest gig with an urban-focused PDC here in Seattle. The
course is done on multiple Fri-Sun (3-day) weekends spread from late
spring to late summer. Since I come in at the end, I get to see the
ending group interaction, and in these two cases the groups had
definitely 'gelled'. Probably not as intense of a 'gelling' process as
a residential, but still good to see.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA