permaculture - Serviceberry was Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Serviceberry was Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:11:12 -0800

At 12:39 PM 10/31/02 -0700, Kelly Finigan wrote:

PS I just remembered another two favourite pretty plants of mine...the
Saskatoon / Serviceberry / Shadblow (Amelanchier species) - bushes with nice
white flowers, yummy bluish berries that people and birds love...and the
lupine - insectary and nitrogen fixer...apparently there is a variety that
is not toxic (I think Oregon Exotics nursery may sell the seed)...

Last time I checked, their Website was mostly offline and their phone was being answered by another company. This was close to a year ago; they may have gotten stuff back together by now.

A really excellent alternative for many western US species (including about a dozen varieties of serviceberry) is ForestFarm - www.forestfarm.com. Their catalog is the size of a large paperback book - 5.5x8.5 inches, 485 pages for the fall 2002 catalog - with at least a paragraph on each species they carry. I've ordered from them twice; all my plants arrived in good shape both times, despite one shipment being packed in its big box upside down. They're in a disease-free part of Oregon, so they have very few shipping restrictions.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson Earth steward, healer, singer/songwriter
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
Loren's album & music info: http://www.lorendavidson.com
"There is no key to the Universe. It was never locked." - www.nancybuttons.com