permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Meg Mullett <meg@kcnet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:28:48 -0600

One of the best tools we've purchased so far was a high wheel line trimmer:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0690223976.1036075892@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccigadcgjdedfhdcehgcemgdffmdflh.0&vertical=SEARS&bidsite=&pid=07177375000

Far as I can tell, it's pretty much the same as the DR mower at a much lower
price.

It takes care of most of our problems, - spreading sumac, thistles, chicory,
small trees, giant ragweed, sunflowers, milkweeds, sage, asparagus
trees, etc. I would imagine that between one of those and a good pair of
loppers you could clear your overgrown garden pretty quickly.

We've used it alot on our property to clear fencelines, under vineyard rows,
old pasture, new garden space, etc. It always starts up, has never
(yet) broken down, and works like a champ. Being on wheels, its a lot easier
on your back, arms and shoulders that an over the shoulder type
machine. We probably use it over 200 hrs a year.

The thing I like most about it is that it will tell you if it can't handle a
particular shrub/tree/whatever by just breaking the line. It won't work
overtime on it, risking burning up the motor or something. The lines are
very inexpensive and easy to replace. (We buy a whole roll at a time and
cut them to length ourselves.One roll has lasted us over a year.) Takes
about 20 seconds to put on new line(s). When we're clearing an area, I
always start with that, get out all the small to medium stuff, then come in
after with a slingblade, machete or chainsaw, depending on what's
required.

I have to admit that Weed Wrench looks pretty interesting to me. I think
that might be going onto my holiday wish list this year :)

Hope this helps,
Meg