permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where/How to start

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where/How to start
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:51:40 -0600

At 12:26 PM 10/27/02 -0800, you wrote:
I think my biggest hurdle to turning this old ranch into a self sustaining permaculture, that I can leave to my grandchildren, is actually knowing where to start. I think it would be much easier to start with a bare piece of land rather than having to live with someone else's mistakes while you are trying to repair and redesign everything.
Margaret SW Oregon

I think there is a lot of truth to that, especially if things are run down and demand lots of time. A place with lots of buildings in good repair and 70% open land, 25% woods and 5% water is perfect.

One thing I noted with your operation were several small animal enterprises. You might try to drop the number of species down and expand one of the enterprises, especially if the grazing would help knock down invasive brush. Often the larger enterprise takes about the same amount of time as the little one did, and may even take less time if it lets you can justify getting better equipment.
Mark