permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture use for Canada Thistle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture use for Canada Thistle
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:21:06 -0700

I watched a documentary on TV tonight about a Cherokee Indian craftsman in the mountains of North Carolina who uses the following materials to make blowgun darts and blowguns:

Darts:
locust for the shafts
Canada thistle for the feathers (bound to the shafts with cord)
Blowgun:
river cane

Here in Chapel Hill we have a kind of "bamboo" called reeds that grows near wet areas which is fairly smooth and straight; we also have a number of other true bamboo's from small to large. Is river cane a bamboo?

Maybe you could hunt rabbits with a well-designed blowgun, otherwise it would make a fun toy for target practice.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net

  • [permaculture] Permaculture use for Canada Thistle, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/26/2002