permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc (brix)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Murphy" <mmurphy@ctsl.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc (brix)
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 06:33:04 -0700

Frank wrote:

It would be fantastic if we could actually agree and prove a quality
system
based upon sound science that rewards those who produce best tasting,
nutrient rich, wholesome foods. I also think that folks who use
organic, PC,
biodynamic methods are far more likely to do well in such a system.

For more on better soil = higher brix = more nutritious, better tasting
food, see http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/betterfarms.htm
There are three parts. Part 1 explains why permaculture and organic
methods work, Part 2 discusses brix.

Again, if anyone on the list uses brix or knows anything about it, I'd
love to hear it. I learned about it from wine grape growers and
beekeepers, who do use it a lot. I just bought my first honey
refractometer on eBay for $64. For farmer's markets, we are thinking of
labeling our produce with the brix number compared to a sample from the
supermarket. I'll need a veggies/fruits refractometer that reads lower
levels of sugars.

I just don't want to go off the deep end here if someone already knows
this is the wrong path.

Michael
Bodhitree Farm
Half Moon Bay, Northern California Coast

<<winmail.dat>>

  • RE: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc (brix), Michael Murphy, 09/29/2002