permaculture - [permaculture] Pond Clean Up

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pond Clean Up
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> ...the 20 acre pasture field around the pond seem to have lots of
> shallow dips(swales) that create standing water areas.

If these are isolated dips, I'd try extending them along contour to
increase the area the standing water is spread over. Dunno what soil
you've got there; if it's solid clay that might not help much.

If the standing water persists through dry spells, plant water-loving
stuff (with multiple functions and yeilds, of course ;-) in these
areas, turn 'em into micro-ponds/wetlands.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA