permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Ewing & Jocelyn Paquette <sixdegrees@baynet.net>
  • To: permaculture@ibiblio.org
  • Cc: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Invasives
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:37:11 -0400

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." wrote:

"Could competitor plants be encased in a seedball, with extra nutrient, etc.
to give it a head start over the thistle? Broadcast the balls, and let the
succession begin? If this would work, know ways to determine good
competitors? Perhaps just harvest various local seed, ball up each type,
broadcast, and see what takes. That's a bit slow, but does add to the
information base."

This is basically the process that we are engaged here in restoring a
clear-cut. We have gathered seeds from the area near and on the site and added
a few others that are native to the region. The seedballing will take place
next week, hopefully, and we are tracking the work so that a written and
visual record will be available. The site is about one hour's drive from
Thunder Bay and at the moment our pickup is under repair so there may be a
slight delay.

Bob Ewing