permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Invasives
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:30:37 -0700

Posted for BK:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Invasives <<<post to list
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:29:08 -0700
From: BK <lildragon@saber.net>

Hi,
I'd like to take the view that weeds are playing the first step in
ecological succession. It sure does reduce effort. I know I'm currently
having a problem with star thistle, which likes to grow along graded road
edges, and slowly creep into grassy areas. Thought that came to mind was
seedballing:
Could competitor plants be encased in a seedball, with extra nutrient, etc
to give it a head start over the thistle? Broadcast the balls, and let the
succession begin? If this would work, know ways to determine good
competitors? Perhpas just harvest various local seed, ball up each type,
broadcast, and see what takes. Thats a bit slow, but does add to the
information base. I'd love if simple such experiements (semi-scientific)
could be added to the PCDB, allowing more people to test the idea, and
return with more results, under defirent curcumstances.

Also, reguarding zones.....aren't zones merely based on a few climate
factors? So why not have general zone maps, which convert the general zone
into the climate stats. Then search for plants via the stats. Then you can
feature in how feature will affect your microclimate, and add 5 degrees in
temp because of slope, or tree shade, or rainfall or water, instead of
calling it a "zone".

Cheers,
BK