permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: RE: [grazersedge] Grass-fed beef breeds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: RE: [grazersedge] Grass-fed beef breeds
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:55:44 -0500

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:35:53 -0500
From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger@hart.k12.ky.us>
Subject: RE: [grazersedge] Grass-fed beef breeds
To: "'grazersedge@yahoogroups.com'" <grazersedge@yahoogroups.com>

Have to put a plug in here for our Murray Greys! Unbeatable grazers, easy
keepers, naturally polled, light colored (most of then anyway, which is good
in our Southern heat), great mothers, great milkers (which makes for high
weaning weights - we milk one of our cows for about 6 weeks when she calves)
and the sweetest natured animals you'd ever want to be around - even the
bulls. And, most important, the meat is lean, tender, delicious. Our
customers love it.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

> ----------
> From: Chad Spurling[SMTP:chads@sockets.net]
> Frank
>
> In our experience, as long as we have cattle that have gained well through
> their whole life they have never been tough. Typically what we sell as
> grassfeds are straight angus heifers that fatten off grass in june at
> about
> 800 lbs. Forget about a 1200 lb fat steer on grass and go with what is
> easy! Any easy fleshing Angus or Hereford cows should be able to do what
> you would want to do. However, untill you get all the other challenges
> that
> it sounds like you have in line I wouldn't even try grassfed for a while.
>
> Chad Spurling

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/S8XolB/TM