permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: large ScalePC.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: large ScalePC.
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 17:55:56 -0700

HRM is Holistic Resource Management; Alan Savory, of Zimbabwe, now based in
New Mexico, is the founder. He came out of ranching, game park management,
and military command in a guerilla war. He's someone who has managed systems
with the most intact megafaunal assemblage remaining on earth, which is
intriguing. If you charicature permies as back-to-the-landers and urban
farmers, HRM-ers are ranchers, either old cowboys or nouveau sorts. (dang,
I'm not pulling his name out of memory! someone remind me!) The founder of
Fambidzanai in Zimbabwe, puts both Pc and HRM together with some good
participatory cross-cultural development-oriented techniques and calls it
PELUM- participatory ecological land-use management.
{It's interesting to me that the "holistic" concept was from a book by Jan
Christian Smuts, a Boer leader against the Brits who went on to be President
of South Africa and while serving the British in WWI, the one whose advice
(in my understanding) led to the establishment of the Royal Airforce as an
independent command; great foresight there, the US didn't do it until the
end of WWII. Probably won the battle of Britain.}

enough to chew on for now- I gotta get some exercise.
-Rick