permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC on Large Farms/PC Peace Corp

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC on Large Farms/PC Peace Corp
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:56:02 EDT

Good day:)

In a message dated 8/28/02 1:28:43 AM, jamie@tiscali.fr writes:

<< How do we reach out and begin to make a change on these farms when farmers
are so squeezed for time and money as it is. Is PC a precious, suburban,
faintly elitist movement that has much to say but little practical to give
these larger farms? >>

Bravo...well spoken,Jamie.

I have enough PC type projects/goals to last me a lifetime:) Geez, I moved
down to the country to live simply...but it seems a lot harder than I thought
on a farm of some size.

You know city folk like me are often impressed by large acreage at relatively
low cost per acre. We tend to overestimate our skills, penchant for the task,
and seriously underestimate the number of man-hours required. he he

Wouldn't it be great if there were some sort of "PC Peace Corps" where
farmers who desire to turn their farms into model PC holistic farms could
apply. Where farm plans could be worked out in detail, and then a group of
leaders, and volunteers would show up to implement same. Just think of the
synergy, the long term benefits, and the tremendous PR possibilities.

Every such converted farm would be a testimony to the value of PC, and a
local model for others to emulate!

If anyone is excited about this or interested in helping start such
organization or group, please let me know. Got to run now! See ya! Frank