permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pumping water for thirsty cows

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pumping water for thirsty cows
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:02:29 EDT

Hi Mark:)

<,Don't know if you looked at this but...
If you don't have too much rise to pump to you may save a lot of money and
headache by using a small gas powered pump to fill a tank and then gravity
feed your water line.>>

Yes... I had considered this. But cost of large storage tank of sufficient
gallonage (2000 gallons) alone is a big drawback. Plus I'd have to build some
sort of base for it on the hillside. And it's hardly easily moved. Then
there's cost of fuel to consider. As well as how long it takes to fill that
tank. And I'm not sure if gravity alone would push water efficiently down to
furthest hydrants since fields are relatively flat.

Guy selling pumps indicated that for my application a single stage, self
priming, heavy duty electric suction pump would be best option

But I really don't know much about various pump manufacturers, reliability,
performance record, etc. Consumer Reports does a poor job covering products
like this, where expertise/advice is really helpful:(

Any comments are Pump manufacturers? See ya! Frank