permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg gardendesign?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wanna toy with a chicken coop/duck run/ veg gardendesign?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:39:16 +0100

Thanks a lot, Scott, for your comments. Glad you are enjoying this
thread.
We have a lot of problems not just with slugs crossing into the beds but
also with those that hatch from eggs that inevitably come in with
mulches, compost etc. Hence we also need control inside, so to speak.

As to the ducks and the water: I think I'll go along with Marks ideas on
a bell waterer for outside and nipple drinkers for inside. Also, I have
seen a handy set-up where a small basin for the ducks to dip their heads
in is set on a metal grid which in turn sits over a gravel-filled hole
allowing any spilled water to drain away and keeping mud out of the
water. That should work fine. The little pond would then just be an
add-on for them to play around in, and to reflect sunlight into the
greenhouse during the winter months.

Cheers,
Ute